Pharmacological properties of the herbs:
The rationale that goes into choosing each ingredient is as follows:
- Menthol (Pudina Satva) : It is a powerful, expectorant and demulcent and an excellent mouth freshener.
- Adulsa (Adhatoda vasika) : It is a potent bronchodilator, antiallergic (antihistamine) and expectorant agent, used successfully in the treatment of common cold, cough, whooping cough, chronic bronchitis and asthma.
- Kantakari (Solanum xanthocarpum) : It is used to treat sore throat and tonsillits.
- Miri (Piper nigrum) : It has powerful anti-tussive and expectorant properties.
- Sunth (Zingiber officinale) : It is very useful in controlling and curing chronic and repetitive cough/ cold bouts.
- Mulethi (Glycerrhiza glabra) : It is used as an expectorant, for the treatment of asthma, acute and chronic bronchitis, due to its anti inflammatory and mild mineral corticoid like action.
- Amla (Emblica officinalis) : It is a powerful medicine used in cough, bronchitis, hemoptysis, tuberculosis and as rejuvenating agent It also acts as an immune stimulant anti-inflammatory and
prevents recurrence of disease.
- Haldi (Curcuma Longa) : It is a very strong immunomodulator, antiallergic and anti-inflammatory agent. It also acts as a mucolytic and helps to remove excess cough.
- Kattha (Acacia catechu) : It is an herbal mouth freshener and good astringent. It has a proven antihistamine action, by which it helps reduce symptoms of allergic rhinitis.
- Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum) : It is regarded as the most important remedy for respiratory diseases and has strong anti-tussive and antibacterial activity. It acts as an expectorant and used in cough, bronchitis, fever and other respiratory disorders.
- Saunf (Foeniculun vulgare) : It is a respiratory stimulant, expectorant and also acts as an antitussive agent.
- Baheda (Terminalia belerica) : It has a powerful action in acute/chronic cough, bronchitis, sore throat and common cold
- Pipali (Piper Longum) : It is a time-tested medicine for cough and common cold and other respiratory tract infections due to its excellent expectorant properties.
- Kakadashing (Pistacia integerrima) : It helps in clearance of mucus from airways, bronchi and trachea. Acts as expectorant and manages the hiccoughs.